Development of solar and storage solutions in West Africa
Who are we?
Pioneer in renewable energies in Africa, Africa REN operates the first solar power plant in West Africa, in Bokhol, Senegal.
Africa REN develops and operates competitive and reliable solar power plants and storage solutions to expand access to power and promote energy independence of African countries.
Solar power plant
Faithful to its pioneering spirit that guided its first steps, Africa REN targets complex environments where the company has acquired cutting-edge expertise
Investments & projects
Africa REN explores and develops innovative and sustainable projects in West Africa with the ambition to build a portfolio of solar and storage assets with a capacity of 250 MW by 2024.
These assets are connected to the grid, or off-grid in order to supply commercial and industrial companies with clean electricity. Africa REN uses new technologies to provide its clients with energy efficient “smart solutions”.
- We pay special attention to engage with local communities to understand their needs and foster economic empowerment.
- We ensure minimization and compensation of projects environmental impacts.
- We provide a safe and healthy work environment to the people we employ and require subcontractors’ adherence to the same standards.
- We uphold the highest standards of good governance.
In addition to the ESG actions subscribed within the framework of its projects, Africa REN has created Africa REV, a non-profit association which carries out its activities in West Africa with a special focus on children’s health and education.
Our latest news
Africa REN announces the financial close and start of construction of the largest solar plant in Burkina Faso (38MW). Kodeni Solar will:
- provide a sustainable and local source of clean electricity to 115,000 homes in Bobo Dioulasso area
- avoid the emission of over 41,000 tons of CO2 per year
- create 150 direct jobs during construction and 35 permanent jobs in the operations
To support its ambition to develop more clean energy and sustainable infrastructure projects, Africa REN teamed up with Metier Sustainable Capital, a private equity fund focused on clean infrastructure investments across Africa, managed by Metier, and FMO, the Dutch entrepreneurial development bank.